A fire-control observation tower (#15) and concrete cable hut was built 200 feet inland from the then shoreline at Fowler Beach, Delaware in April 1944, part of the pre-radar visual artillery fire-control system for Battery Hall (two 12-inch guns) at Fort Saulsbury in Slaughter Beach, Delaware. The 72-foot tall steel girder tower, with a 22-foot high 3-level wood and sheet metal covered station, cost $10,320. Other similar towers were also built in 1944 at Broadkill Beach (#14), Mispillion River (#16), Big Stone Beach (#17), and South Bowers (#18). The tower at Big Stone Beach still survives. The numbers refer to the overall tower scheme (#1 - #26) in Delaware Bay according to the 1941 Harbor Defense Project. The towers in the upper bay (#15 - #22) were deleted from the project in late 1944 as not needed, as Fort Saulsbury was inactivated and its guns were removed to Fort Miles at Cape Henlopen.
These towers are of a WWII design, not WWI as many people assume, just because they do not look like the cylindrical concrete towers elsewhere around the bay that still survive. The gun batteries at Fort Saulsbury were not completed until December 1920, and weren't even proof fired until May 1930.
To Join the Company of Military Historians click here