That magnificent grenadier cap, below its script "GW" device, bears an embroidered "REGIMENT" atop "XX" (flaming bomb)"VI" nearly missing), associating it with the 26th Continental Regiment of 1776.
The unit was organized almost immediately following Lexington-Concord, being initially designated as Gerrish's Regiment of the Massachusetts Grand Army. Adopted into the Continental Army in June, the unit continued to serve as Gerrish's Regiment throughout 1775. On January 1, 1776, each of the Continental regiments was assigned a numerical identification, Gerrish's becoming the 26th Continental Regiment. That manner of designation lasted one year, the army being reorganized on 1/1/77. Per this "establishment", each unit was cited on the basis of its commandant and state, the old 21st and 26th being consolidated as Wesson's Massachusetts Battalion. The state's units were also numbered in 1777 but, due to conflicts as to commission dates, a given regiment was often referred to via two numerals. By mid-1779, General Washington had become thoroughly burned up, and simply numbered the Mass. Line units per his understanding of commandant seniority. Thus, although having long been referenced as the 9th MA, Wesson's was officially designated so May 12, 1779, and served as such until disbanded 1/1/83. Its engagement roll includes:
- Siege of Boston
- New York Campaign
- Philadelphia Campaign
To Join the Company of Military Historians click here