I have an 1871 Springfield (Ward-Burton) Rifle, and am very interested in learning the "Trials" history of these pieces. I know that they were not accepted by the Army for regular issue, but they were tested somewhere. I'm looking for copies of documentation that details where they were tested, Army/state Militia Infantry Units, Army test results and/or reports, or any other similar information. Also, I'd like to find out:
- Ramrod (cleaning rod): Double or Single Shoulder?
- Cartridge Box: Which was issued or likely to have been used during the Trials?
- Sling: Is the One Piece, or Two Piece Sling proper? What is the correct length?
- When did the Trials begin? End?
- Were Martins Primed, or Benet Primed cartridges used during the Trials?
- When and how did the Army dispose of the rifles?
Any help would really be appreciated,
Pete Bahr in NJ
To Join the Company of Military Historians click here