Purpose: To recognize outstanding scholarship or scholarly activities by a Company member.
Eligibility: Any member in good standing is eligible for the Founders Award including those who hold a CMH office or position, or who have been previously honored as Fellow or DSA.
- Any member in good standing is eligible for the Founders Award including those who hold a CMH office or position, or who have been previously honored as Fellow or DSA
- Scholarship and scholarly activities resulting in one Founders Award cannot be counted toward a subsequent award, although a continuation of the same type of scholarship can merit a second Founders Award after a suitable period of time.
- Scholarship and scholarly activities resulting in a Founders Award is eligible for consideration toward Fellowship.
- Scholarship and scholarly activities used in qualifying for Fellowship will not be counted toward a subsequent Founders Award.
Criteria: The fields encompassed by this award are broad and include:
- Authors of books and articles of military history and material culture.
- Preservationists of military battlefields and military items.
- Museum Curators specializing in military items.
- Artists who interpret military history and material culture
- Collectors of military material culture.
- Teachers/ Professors
- Living Historians
The award is meant to recognize achievement that brings new insights in the areas of military history and military material culture to the public. It is meant to reward work that is critically acclaimed and sets the standard for future work. It is not meant to recognize each article, each display, each plate, each class taught, each cannon saved, or each book compiled or edited, but rather a body of work that opens new avenues for looking at the field of military history and material culture. Collectors can’t just collect, but must use their collection to teach and form new interpretations. That is not to say that the author of a single book (for example) can’t be recognized for that work, what is important is the recognition the work receives by his/her peers, and whether it becomes a standard reference in the field.
Recognition: Recipients will receive a certificate and a gold-plated 6-star cluster, emblematic of the six Company Founders to be worn over the Fellows or membership pin. All recipients will be listed in the Journal and be announced at the annual meeting.
Founders’ Pin worn with Fellow Pin
Nominations may be submitted to:
Bill Emerson, Chair, Fellows Committee, 124 Kensington Drive, Madison, AL 35758 email@example.com
A complete list of Founders’ Award recipients is below. The list is searchable and sortable.
Recipients of the Founder's Award
|2.015||David M. Sullivan|
|2.015||Alex de Quesada|